Serving others has always been our focusWe got our start back in 1948, when a group of like-minded people met in a borrowed office in the old Opie building in Westerly, RI, to pool their assets together and form a member-owned credit union.
We continue the credit union tradition today, being a not-for-profit financial collective, 100% owned by all of our members. Our goal isn't to generate huge revenues. It's to make our members' lives better. It's to make our local communities stronger.
Today, we have five branches, 75 employees, over 22,000 members and $400 million in deposits.
We serve our members by offering a full line of deposit accounts and lending products. We pride ourselves on keeping our fees low, our loan rates equally low and paying higher dividends on deposits.
We make life easier with digital banking tools that allow 24/7 account access. We also provide a wide range of financial education and consumer counseling offerings, because it's important to us that our members get the best information and advice possible on money matters.
Community involvement is, and always will be, a strong focus of WCCU. Annually, WCCU donates to over 100 local organizations, charities, and events. WCCU also supports local schools largely through our annual Basketball Tournament (solely sponsored since 1984), Teacher Grant Program, Scholarship program, and financial literacy programs: Money Mammals Kids Club, CU4Reality Financial Literacy Fairs, and the Everfi and Cemark Online Financial Literacy Programs.
Here are a few other numbers that suggest we're on the right track:
- In 2022, we were voted #1 Best Credit Union and top 3 for Best Mortgage Company and Best Financial Advisor from The Westerly Sun’s Readers' Choice Awards. From 2017-2019, we were rated as the region's #1 Best Bank and top 3 in 2020.
- The Southern RI Chamber of Commerce awarded us "Community Hero" in 2021 and "Spreadin' the Love" in 2019, 2020 and 2023 for our community outreach efforts.
- In 2023, 2022, 2021, 2019 and 2018, we made the Providence Business News' list of Best Places to Work.
- In 2022, we were voted Best Financial Institution and Best Financial Advisor from Southern RI Reader's Choice Awards.
Westerly Community Credit Union is guided by a Board of Directors. Each board member is elected by the Credit Union's membership at large and serves a three-year term. Their efforts are supplemented by members who serve on other committees.
- Chairperson: Pete S. Stefanski
- Vice Chairperson: Steven W. Scales
- Treasurer: Robert J. Delaney
- Secretary: William A. Quirk
- Director: Sheilia Terranova-Beattie
- Director: Scott J. Harold
- Director: Stephen J. Iacoi
- Director: Paul J. Marsiglio
- Director: Joseph L. Ritacco
- Director: Dawn M. Smith
- Chairperson: Paul Gencarella Jr.
- Secretary: Nicholas J. Stahl
- Member: Kristin A. Martino
- Member: Danny M. Nesmith
- Chairperson: Robert J. Boucher
- Member: Wendy Gencarelli
- Member: Richard Champ
- Member: Kevin Gervasini
- Member: Andrew Rogers
The senior staff is hired by the Board of Directors and oversees the day-to-day operations of Westerly Community Credit Union.
- President and CEO: Stephen White
- Chief Marketing Officer and Senior Vice President of Retail Experience: Meg Sisco
- Chief Operations Officer and Senior Vice President of Operations: Andrew Rogers
- Vice President of Commercial Lending: Richard Champ
- Vice President of Financial Services: Wendy Gencarelli
- Vice President of Lending: Robert Boucher
Westerly Community Credit Union is a full-service credit union with Rhode Island branches in Westerly, Richmond, Wakefield, and Coventry.
I joined WCCU because I want to do business with a community bank with employees who know my name, my kids, and support the community. Plus, WCCU offers great banking choices & products.Elaine T. of Westerly
I joined because it feels like the credit union really cares about you.Lisa O. of Branford
I joined WCCU because of the service and the lower fees. All the employees are very friendly and helpful and will do everything to resolve any issues. I would recommend this financial institution to family and friends.Marge P. of Westerly